A.P. Thomas Construction, Inc. is seeking a project manager / estimator with 5 years of experience in design build, LEED, negotiated and hard bid projects for site, shell and interior improvements in retail, office, industrial, laboratories, fitness centers, and senior housing.
At A.P. Thomas Construction, an award-winning company based in the Sacramento area, you’ll work for a company that rivals larger firms in capabilities and value, yet gives personal attention and commitment to each project. With active owner involvement, the project team is able to collaborate cohesively, efficiently, and maintain a high level of attention to detail. Our product line is diverse in virtually every aspect of the construction industry which offers challenging opportunities and growth within the company. The A.P. Thomas Team strives to make each project a fun and interactive experience and not just another construction project.
The specific responsibilities of the project manager / estimator include but are not necessarily limited to the following:
- Lead the construction project by providing advice, guidance, and direction to the superintendent, project engineers and the administrative/accounting staff to bring projects in on schedule and within budget
- Review proposal specifications, drawings, and attend pre-bid meetings for new projects
- Responsible for creating conceptual estimates based on preliminary designs and project criteria
- Negotiation of the prime and subcontract agreements utilizing your knowledge of construction law to protect the firm’s interest
- Award contracts and track as required – includes estimating/pricing extra work items, processing change orders, procuring materials, etc.
- Prepares project budget, maintains cost control information, identifies cost impacts and provides recommendations for value engineering
- Prepares master construction schedule, assesses delays and enforces schedule compliance
- Establish and maintain positive long-term relationships with clients, architects, engineers, building department and inspectors in order to facilitate the successful completions of construction activities
- Schedule and lead the weekly OAC project meetings, etc.
- Attend and provide support to the superintendent at the on-site weekly foreman meetings
- Manage financial aspects of projects through budgets, contracts, change orders, billings and payments to protect the firm’s interest
- Provide timely documentation of delays, cost impacts, meeting minutes and change orders
- Review, approve and track RFI’s, submittals and change orders
- Responsible for quality control and safety from project commencement through completion of the warranty period
- Investigate potentially serious situations and implement corrective measures
- Responsible for providing project closeout, warranties, as-builts and punchlists
- Support and participates in business development and marketing efforts
- Maintain the company vision and image
- Report all progress to the President and Vice President on a weekly basis
- Assume additional responsibilities as directed by the President and Vice President
Experience and Skills
- BS degree in construction management or engineering is preferred; however a 4 year degree is required
- 5 years’ experience in managing commercial projects as a Construction Manager or Project Manager with demonstrated leadership, management skills and increasing responsibilities
- Current experience with projects in Northern California is required and specific to Sacramento is a plus
- Ability to provide professional presentations for prospective clients
- Knowledge of construction methods, means, practices and procedures, applicable laws and government regulations
- LEED Professional Accreditation preferred
- OSHA 30 preferred
- Proficient use of Outlook, Word, Excel, Project, Adobe, Newforma and Sage 100
- Advanced written and verbal communication skills
The position is full time, exempt with premium benefits:
- All benefits for the employee are paid 100% by A.P. Thomas Construction, Inc.
- Dependent benefits include medical and dental and we pay 50% of the premiums
- Long-term Disability
- 401K with matching
- Annual bonus
- Vehicle allowance
- Fuel card
Please apply through the website with your resume and salary requirements.